Healthy cinnamon rolls – Franzbrötchen meets cinnamon bun
My new favorite dessert: Healthy cinnamon rolls. A healthy combination of the northern German pastry ‘Franzbrötchen’ and cinnamon rolls! I grew up in Hamburg where you quickly start to love the Franzbrötchen.
But the cinnamon rolls were also always a highlight among the pastries. In general cinnamon pastry is simply one of my absolute weak points.
That’s why I thought cinnamon pastries must be healthy too. So why don’t we try a compromise between a Franzbrötchen and a cinnamon bun? Since both have too many calories, my task was not so easy. In the end, I did it after all! The result: This super delicious cinnamon roll recipe.
Healthy cinnamon rolls
- 100 ml water warm
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 g sugar
- 41 g fresh yeast
- 150 g spelt flour
- 30 g sweetener powder sugar alternative Xylitol
- 5 g cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter
- Pour the water into a bowl, add sugar, a pinch of salt and mix gently
- Now crumble the fresh yeast and let the whole thing ferment for at least for 15 minutes.
- While the yeast is fermenting, get your blender and a bowl.
- Add the flour and a little xylitol with a pinch of cinnamon.
- When the yeast is fermented, mix a little and add to the flour.
- Now knead the whole thing well with the kneading hooks of your mixer until everything has mixed smoothly.
- Now cover the dough with a cloth and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- After the dough has rested for a while, remove from the bowl and knead neatly on a lightly floured work surface, for at least 10 minutes. Until the dough stops sticking and develops a smooth surface.
- Then form the dough into a large ball, put it back in the bowl and cover with cling film.
- Allow the dough to ferment for another 50 minutes.
- After the dough has fermented and has about twice the volume, roll out on a lightly floured work surface (as angular as possible)
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (360 °F).
- Heat the butter lightly until liquid and mix with the xylitol and cinnamon.
- Spread the cinnamon butter evenly on the dough.
- Now gently roll the dough together to a roll.
- Cut the finished roll in small pieces (approx. 8 pieces)
- Bake for 25 minutes at 180 °C (360 °F) with top and under heat.
- Allow the rolls to cool down a little and enjoy!
For all cinnamon lovers, I also recommend my apple-cinnamon oatmeal. The perfect healthy cinnamon breakfast.
Your opinion about the cinnamon rolls
That’s it for my healthy cinnamon pastry! However, I would be interested in your feedback on the healthy combination of “Franzbrötchen” and cinnamon buns! If you tried the recipe, I would be very happy about your feedback or photos. Just leave me a comment on here or on Instagram to @fittastetic_app
More healthy recipes
Looking for more healthy recipes? I got you covered! Just download my free healthy Recipes app.