My new favorite dessert: Healthy cinnamon rolls. A healthy combination of the northern German pastry ‘Franzbrötchen’ and cinnamon rolls! I grew up in Hamburg and there you quickly start to love the Franzbrötchen.
But also the cinnamon rolls were always a highlight among the pastries. In general cinnamon pastry is simply one of my absolute weak points.
That’s why I thought cinnamon cookies must be healthy too. So why don’t we try a compromise between a Franzbrötchen and & a cinnamon bun? Since both have too many calories, my task was not so easy. In the end, I did it after all! The result: This super delicious cinnamon roll recipe.
Healthy cinnamon rolls
- 100 ml water warm
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 g sugar
- 41 g fresh yeast
- 150 g spelt flour
- 30 g Sweetener powder sugar alternative Xylitol
- 5 g cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter
- Pour the water into a bowl, add sugar, a pinch of salt and mix gently
- Now crumble the fresh yeast and let the whole thing ferment for at least for 15 minutes.
- While the yeast is fermenting, get your blender and a bowl.
- Add the flour and a little xylitol with a pinch of cinnamon.
- When the yeast is fermented, mix a little and add to the flour.
- Now knead the whole thing well with the kneading hooks of your mixer until everything has mixed smoothly.
- Now cover the dough with a cloth and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- After the dough has rested for a while, remove from the bowl and knead neatly on a lightly floured work surface, for at least 10 minutes. Until the dough stops sticking and develops a smooth surface.
- Then form the dough into a large ball, put it back in the bowl and cover with cling film.
- Allow the dough to ferment for another 50 minutes.
- After the dough has fermented and has about twice the volume, roll out on a lightly floured work surface (as angular as possible)
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (360 °F).
- Heat the butter lightly until liquid and mix with the xylitol and cinnamon.
- Spread the cinnamon butter evenly on the dough.
- Now gently roll the dough together to a roll.
- Cut the finished roll in small Pieces (approx. 8 pieces)
- Bake for 25 minutes at 180 °C (360 °F) with top and under heat.
- Allow the rolls to cool down a little and enjoy!
For all cinnamon lovers, I also recommend my apple-cinnamon oatmeal. The perfect healthy cinnamon breakfast.
More delicious pastries:
Your opinion about the cinnamon rolls
That’s it for my healthy cinnamon pastry! However, I would be interested in your feedback on the healthy combination of French rolls and cinnamon buns! If you have tried the recipe, I would be very happy about your feedback or photos. Gladly, also simply, here as comment or on Instagram to @fittastetic
Download the Fittastetic Fitness Recipes app now
You want this and other recipes for healthy weight loss, fast and easy on your phone? No problem, just download my free Fitness Recipes app.